Audio File length: 2.22
English / USA Language: English / USA

The Grand Ducal Burial Chapel was built in neo-Baroque style between 1896 and 1908 under the supervision of Leon Benois, and connected to the cathedral by a corridor. The chapel was built with a view to transferring a number of tombs of the imperial family here from the cathedral, where there was no longer room for them. It was designed to contain up to sixty tombs, but at the time of the Russian Revolution it housed just thirteen. The last person to be buried here was Tsar Nicholas II's cousin, the Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich, in 1992.

Scarica MyWoWo! La Travel App che ti racconta le meraviglie del mondo!

Share on